The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
The services provided by Big White Wall are delivered in a partnership with the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust is a high performing mental health trust, which specialises in Training and Clinical services. The Trust services are focused on psychological, social and developmental approaches to understanding and treating emotional ill health and to promoting mental wellbeing. It has a national and international reputation based on excellence in service delivery and clinical innovation, and high quality clinical training and workforce development.
The Trust achieved authorisation as an NHS Foundation Trust in 2006. Prior to this it was known as The Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, established in 1994, bringing together the Tavistock Clinic, founded in 1920, and the Portman Clinic, founded in 1933. All NHS Foundation Trusts are regulated by an independent body, Monitor.
The Trust has received an ‘excellent’ rating for the quality of its services, from the Care Quality Commission (formerly Healthcare Commission), for the last five years and the Trust’s staff survey results are among the best in the country on many indicators.
The Trust works in partnership with Big White Wall to ensure the quality and integrity of the services provided in the following ways;
- All Big White Wall Guides are recruited with the support of the Trust clinical team
- Guides are supervised by a qualified Trust clinician
- The Trust provides Guides with core training on a variety of mental wellbeing topics. Guides also learn about how to manage online communities, how to facilitate online discussion, risk management, diversity and safeguarding
- Each Guide has a personal development plan devised by the Trust to ensure the high quality of moderation
- The Trust co-produces and maintains training materials for Guides which are up to date with the latest online safety guidelines
- The Trust oversees all self-help material and assessments and ensures they are in keeping with current good practice and evidence base
- The Trust oversees the development and delivery of Guided Groups, ensuring they meet best practice standards and that they are appropriate for the online environment
- The Trust will provide consultation and expertise in the area of research, audit and evaluation
- The Trust has a high quality reputation for service user involvement and engagement and works closely with Big White Wall to monitor outcomes and user experience of the services provided on Big White Wall
- The Trust is committed to innovation and to promoting mental wellbeing, and works in partnership with Big White Wall on all clinical developments in line with evidence emerging both within mental health services and specifically within online services.
Further information about the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
The Trust has delivered exceptional mental health services to young people, children and their families since the inception of the NHS, over 60 years ago.
The Trust is proud of its contribution to research and the evidence base for interventions in the areas of mental health and child development. We believe the research ethos of the Trust contributes to and supports our innovative approach to delivering clinical and academic services of the highest quality.
In particular, the Trust has an outstanding reputation for the delivery of high quality multi-modal, multi-disciplinary, psychological, social and psychiatric interventions across the age range; and for the training and support of staff in primary care and mental health settings. This reputation extends from individual, group and family work, to supervision and organisational consultancy. Adult services are delivered within adult, adolescent and child and family directorates, and forensic services by the Portman Clinic.
The Trust is a national provider of mental health education and training, offering 70 courses locally, nationally and internationally, in addition to a new Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme of short courses. The Trust enrolls in the region of 2000 students each year. In addition it reaches a wide professional audience, including commissioners and providers of a wide range of services for adults, children and young people via its extensive programme of conferences. The Trust runs a variety of leadership and management programmes which, coupled with the Trust’s consultancy services, influences the wider workforce. The Trust is also proud of its contribution to research and the evidence base for interventions in the areas of mental health and child development. We believe the research ethos of the Trust contributes to and supports our innovative approach to delivering clinical and academic services of the highest quality.
We are committed to improving mental health and emotional wellbeing. We believe that high quality mental health services should be available for all who need them.
Our contribution is distinctive in the importance we attach to social experience at all stages of people’s lives. We are also distinct in our focus on psychological and developmental approaches to the promotion of health and the prevention and treatment of mental ill health.
Further information about the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation trust services can be found on their website http://www.tavistockandportman.nhs.uk/